List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: koffice 2.2 has been branched, trunk is open for commit
From:       Kevin Scannell <kscanne () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-25 2:03:47

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Cyrille Berger <cberger@cberger.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have finished the branching of koffice 2.2, meaning that trunk is now open
> for features commits. While translation for the stable release should happen
> in branches/stable.
>
> I expect the final 2.2 release to happen within 5 weeks.

I have a question about the process involved in branching koffice -
were the PO files from the trunk copied over to the stable branch, or
were the POT files copied and then merged with the existing PO files
on the branch?

I ask because I've only been maintaining the branch translations for
the last couple of months - it's too hard for one person to keep up
with the trunk (at least too hard for me).    So I suspect some of my
recent work on the branch was wiped out when koffice 2.2 came over (I
know it's all recoverable, it's just a bit of a pain).

Are there any other teams who work only on the stable branch who can
suggest a process model that avoids this?   Should I be periodically
forward-porting my work to the trunk?   How often?  In this case,
maybe it would be better if l10n teams had some advanced warning
before a big change is about to be landed in our repos?

I'm similarly concerned about the creation of the next stable branch.
I assume this is taken from the trunk - will I have enough warning to
copy my translations to the trunk before that's done?

Thanks
Kevin