List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Hebrew calendar, digit set, and weekday names
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-31 14:10:53

Hi,

There's a couple of issues in the Hebrew calendar implementation I'd like help
on.

Firstly, in KCalendarSystemHebrew there is some code that checks what the
language is and if the language is Hebrew converts date strings to/from Hebrew
digits, otherwise it just returns the standard Arabic digits (see num2heb()
and heb2num()).

In 4.3 KLocale gained support for setting the DigitSet to be used and added
support for Arabic-Indic and Devenagari digits.  Hebrew was not added at the
time, I'm not sure why not.

In 4.4 some changes I've made to the date formatting and reading code doesn't
use the Hebrew digit conversion in places, giving inconsistent results.  I can
hack support back in using the current Hebrew code, but I'd rather do it the
right way by supporting Hebrew digits in our DigitSet code (see
KLocale::convertDigits() and KLocale::toArabicDigits()).  This has the
advantage of letting the user choose their digit set rather than forcing it on
them.

I think this looks very easy to achieve, basically just add HebrewDigits to
the enum and the Unicode digits to KLocale::digitSetString().  Can any Unicode
/ Hebrew experts see a problem with this?  Are Hebrew digits a special case?
Is this something I can label a bug-fix for 4.4, or will the correct way have
to wait for 4.5?

The other issue is weekday names.  Currently we just use the Gregorian day
names, which seems a little odd to me.  Sure the translation into Hebrew is
OK, but do English speaking Jews using the Hebrew calendar for religious
holidays really want to see that today is Saturday and not Shabbat?  What is
the normal usage?

Cheers!

John.