List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Translating UserBase categories
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-31 12:19:20

Since Hans Chen dented a couple of days ago, saying that I needed help with
translation of categories in UserBase, many of you have responded, filling up
your section of the table.  I do appreciate both the fact that you did it, and
the speed with which it has been done.  We now have category translations for
17 of the 30 languages offered in the language bar, and covers the majority of
pages in UserBase - not quite all, though.

I have added one category - 'Contributing'.  Could you please go back to your
page and add the translation for that?  The pages are

    * عر, Asturianu, Catal , Česky -
    * Kaszëbsczi, Dansk, Deutsch, Eesti
    * Esperanto, Español, فارسی, Suomi(fi)
    * Français, Galego, Italiano,日本語
    * 한국어. Norwegian, Polski, Brazilian Portuguese
    * Română,  усский, Svenska, Slovenština
    * Slovenščina, српски, Tiếng Việt, Українська
    * 简体中文, 正體中文

and you will find the links to them on
http://userbase.kde.org/Translation_Help_Needed

You can see the discussion that led to this at
http://userbase.kde.org/Talk:Category_Translation

I don't expect that additional categories will often be added, but currently
we combine pages that introduce KDE and the software and pages introducing
users to editing pages.  I want to split them, hence the new category.

One last point.  In the discussion mentioned above it was said that it would
be much safer if the language code was added to category names.  I forgot to
ask for this, so only those that were aware of the discussion did add them.  I
was going to go through and add them myself, rather than request more help,
but then I realised that there is one big problem.  I don't know anything
about how right-to-left languages are handled in this situation.  For
instance, in the category "البداية" does the language code still go at the
right?  I can't quite see how it would look, on the left, so I'm guessing so,
but would like to get it right.

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Anne
--