List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Documentation Freeze Policy
From:       Rolf Eike Beer <kde () opensource ! sf-tec ! de>
Date:       2010-01-11 18:09:09

Am Montag, 11. Januar 2010 schrieb Burkhard Lück:
> Hello translators,
>
> techbase.kde.org/Schedules says about doc freeze (usually around 9 weeks
> before tagging a major release like 4.x.0):
>
> 1) "Documentation/Handbook Freeze
> No more substantive changes to documentation or handbooks after this date.
> Typos, spelling and simple grammar changes are permitted."
>
> The second sentence should be changed to something like:
> "Exception: Typo, spelling fixes and simple grammar changes are permitted
> until RC1 but you have to mail kde-i18n-doc saying you made such a
> change."
>
> Then it is similar to the current Message Freeze policy.

That sounds reasonable.

From my point of view as application developer it would be helpful if the doc
freeze would be moved a bit closer to the release data. For 4.4 it was one
week after the code freeze (i.e. the scheduled release of beta1). I suggest
moving it to the same time as beta2.

The idea behind this is:

-One would only have one week to write/update documentation, especially for
small projects (e.g. KGpg is a one-man-show). In a timeframe of 3 weeks it's
much more likely that the developers will finally sit down and write that
stuff. Until the feature freeze everyone is coding, and new features don't
make sense to be documented if it's unclear if and how they will show up in
the upcoming release. After all we are all lazy humans and will be in a hurry
before feature freeze ;)

-Translators will do messages first anyway. Most teams (even bigger ones) will
not be done even with core modules messages until long after beta2. Currently
e.g. Spanish and German teams (listed as 5th and 6th on
http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/toplist/) are not completely done
with the core SC components (well, probably mostly the weather strings) but
that was way worse like 3 weeks ago. So it's very unlikely that a later freeze
of documentation would lead to a greater hurry for translators than they have
anyway.

Greetings,

Eike