List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Adding contexts in kxsconfig.po
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-12-29 20:27:42

kxsconfig.po contains strings extracted from XScreenSaver's configuration
files. The problem is that they have no contexts, so we have many "slow",
"high", "few", and similar messages bunched up together, when they should be
separate. These configuration files contain enough information to
automaticaly equip messages with contexts, such as:

  msgctxt "@label:slider"
  msgid "Lines"

  msgctxt "@item:inrange Lines"
  msgid "Thin"

  msgctxt "@label:slider"
  msgid "Gravity"

  msgctxt "@item:inrange Gravity"
  msgid "Negative"

Applying such automatic contexts would however make a ton of messages (kh,
all, kh...) in kxsconfig.po fuzzy. My idea is therefore to apply contexts in
the next few days, but to automatically unfuzzy messages fuzzied just due to
context  after the merge, for all teams. That way, no extra work is put on
any team (as if nothing had happened), but you can still go through messages
with contexts requiring attention in your language, if any (e.g. I will want
to examine "@item:inrange ..." messages one by one, and possibly some
other).

Albert has noted one pitfall, strictly speaking: unfuzzying automatically
would declare "good" some translations which no longer fit the context (in
some languages). I agree that this is a valid point, but this is also a
special case, as there would be ~2000 fuzzy messages after the change. So I
think no matter when the contexts are applied (now or for 4.5), the best is
to unfuzzy automatically and notify people (i.e. this message) so that they
can in good time examine only messages with contexts of importance for their
language.

[1] By running: posieve unfuzzy-context-only -snoreview kxsconfig.po

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team