List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Request for string freeze exception (was: Re: [kde-promo]
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-12-29 17:22:25

Hi translators,

time is running short while some of you are struggling to reach the release
criteria. Still, can we please make another change?

The last tab ("Support KDE") of the About-KDE dialog (in all help menus)
in trunk needs an update, as it still uses "KDE" if referring to our products.
Sadly seems to be missed during the Rebranding efforts:

Lundi, le 28 decembre 2009, à 18:16, Jos Poortvliet a écrit:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
> <kossebau@kde.org> wrote:
> > trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/dialogs/kaboutkdedialog_p.cpp:
> >    support->setText(i18n("<html>"
> >        "KDE is available free of charge, but costs are incurred and
> > assets formed in its creation.<br /><br />"
> >        "Thus, the KDE community formed KDE e.V., a non-profit
> > organization" " legally founded in Tuebingen, Germany. KDE e.V.
> > represents" " the KDE community in legal and financial matters."
> >        " See <a
> > href=\"http://www.kde-ev.org/\">http://www.kde-ev.org</a>" " for
> > information on KDE e.V.<br /><br />"
> >        "KDE benefits from financial support. Most of the funds raised are
> > used to "
> >        "reimburse members and others for expenses they incur when "
> >        "contributing to KDE. You are encouraged to support KDE through a
> > financial "
> >        "donation, using one of the ways described at "
> >        "<a
> > href=\"http://www.kde.org/support/\">http://www.kde.org/support/</a>."
> >        "<br /><br />Thank you very much in advance for your
> >
> > So what would be a better text?
>
> The changes can be minimal. Change the first "KDE" to "KDE Software"
> and we're basically done.
>
> The text ain't perfect indeed (as the comment on the bottom sais) but
> it's ok enough if we want to keep changes minimal before this freeze.
>
> A full rewrite of the text could be something like this:
>
> support->setText(i18n("<html>"
> "KDE software is and will always be available free of charge, however
> creating it is not free.<br /><br />"
> "To support development the KDE community has formed the KDE e.V., a
> non-profit organization "
> "legally founded in Germany. KDE e.V. represents the KDE community in
> legal and financial matters. "
> "See <a href=\"http://www.kde-ev.org/\">http://www.kde-ev.org</a>"
> " for information on KDE e.V.<br /><br />"
> "KDE benefits from many kinds of contributions, including financial. "
> "We use the funds to reimburse members and others for expenses "
> "they incur when contributing. Further funds are used for legal "
> "support and organizing conferences and meetings. <br /> <br />"
> "We would like to encourage you to support our efforts with a "
> "financial donation, using one of the ways described at "
> "<a href=\"http://www.kde.org/support/\">http://www.kde.org/support/</a>."

So, are you able to cope with the rewrite (which would be preferred as this
text appears in each and every program) or do you rather prefer the minor
change? Or no change at all at this moment?

Thanks
Friedrich
--
Okteta - KDE Hex Editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta