List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KMid2 strings frozen
From:       Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-20 18:35:52

On Sunday, December 20, 2009, Martin Schlander wrote:
> Lørdag den 19. december 2009 20:09:03 skrev Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas:
> > I'm the maintainer of KMid2, currently at KDE's Playground/Multimedia SVN
> > repository. I'm declaring now a string freeze for KMid2, until the next
> > release 0.1.1 which is expected around this year's end. Thank you very
> > much to all the teams that have translated the program, and the people
> > that tested and provided feedback. This will be another preliminary
> > release, with the purpose of spreading the program and getting feedback
> > from users and packagers, and of course the i18n teams.
> >
> > I've tried to include contexts and do my best following the KDE policies,
> >  but maybe there are mistakes. Please help me to improve the program's
> >  usability and code quality, reporting your complains and suggestions.
> >
> > I will be glad if I can help you to solve music language doubts, or other
> > problems. There is in KMid2 a long list of 128 names of musical
> >  instruments, corresponding to all the General MIDI sounds. This list is
> >  documented in the English Wikipedia, and maybe you find useful this
> > link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI#Program_change_events
>
> This might be helpful for others too.
>
> I noticed there's a kmid.po in eg-multimedia, merging that into kmid2.po
> from pg-multimedia gave me about 2/3 of the strings "for free".
>
> However, I guess something should be done about two different kmids
> existing for translation. I'm guessing kmid1.x(?) in extragear is
> unmaintained?

Yes, it is. The new kmid2 is in playground because it has been rewritten, but
keeping most functionalities from the old kmid. The plan is to release some
version(s) gathering feedback from users and reviews from the community.
After that, and following the KDE policies [1], it will be moved to kdereview
for code review, and finally moved again to extragear replacing the old kmid
codebase. At this point, it will be probably renamed to simply kmid.

Regards,
Pedro

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Guidelines