List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: string freeze exemption request: KDE Development Platform
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-11-28 13:04:55

> [: Aaron J. Seigo :]
> [...] e.g. "KDE Development Platform" is a proper noun, and shouldn't be
> translated; whereas "Desktop" in "Plasma Desktop" is a common noun and can
> be translated normally (whatever the translation team decides that
> means :).

The argument to not translate something because it is a "proper noun" is not
sufficient for my team. I put "proper noun" in quotes, because
linguistically there is no black-and-white separation into general and
proper nouns, but each noun posseses a certain amount of generality and
properness, from the viewpoint of how they are to be treated
ortographically. And this is language dependent.

There is a qualitative difference between phrases "KDE Development Platform"
and "Aaron J. Seigo", in that the first contains a lof of immediate meaning,
while the second contains none. Therefore, in our translations, we will
certainly *translate* the first, and *transcribe* the second:
"Razvojna platforma KDE-a" and "Aron Dž. Sajgo" (or in Cyrillic,
" азвојна платформа КДЕ-а" and "Арон Џ. Сајго"). "KDE Plasma Desktop" will
be translated to "Plazma površ KDE-a" ("Плазма површ КДЕ-а").

I find it strange that the above needs to be justified -- rather, the
opposite should be justifed -- but such is the world, and therefore my
argument is as follows.

For example, in translations of Microsoft products indeed no "proper noun"
is either transcribed or translated. They go further by not even putting
such phrases through declinations, but instead transfering case endings to
auxiliary determinatives: what everyone would write at least as "pod
Windowsom" ("under Windows"), in MS translation is written as "pod
operativnim sistemom Windows" ("under Windows operating system"). At every
instance, repeated in single passage if needed. The idea, of course, is to
burn the trademark into peoples' minds while incurring least additional
expenses for marketing; e.g. no need to adapt inscriptions on fancy
commercials and billboards. I consider this totally disrespective of
cultural norms of users, as language norms are part of them.

Now comes a software ecosystem of the kind of KDE. Correct me if I'm wrong,
but so far I understood that the absolute driving force in development is
putting quality software into users' hands (whatever "user" is defined as).
Not obtaining as much money as possible for stockholders, not providing
psycho-warfare ordinance to marketing and sales. Having high-visibility
names delivering the impact in users' native language as they do in English,
conforming to language norms and style without reservations, juxtaposed
against the likes of above, is a powerfull demonstration of that primary
driving force. They imply "this is something you can easily take part in"
rather than "freshly shipped over Atlantic, take it or leave it".

The practical need of enabling users to study concepts further through
writings in English, can be served in several ways. For example, there is a
Techbase page in English describing what "KDE Development Platform" and "KDE
Plasma Desktop" are; this page is translated into other languages too, so
that Google search on translated name turns them up, and from there the
reader will automatically be lead to English texts of whatever is not
translated. Failing that (say noone got to translating the particular page
yet), in our team we keep a list of localized→English names, which is
indexed on the Web, so that search on localized name will always yield
connection to English name.

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> I've no problem with an argumented advisory instead.
>
> [: Aaron J. Seigo :]
> i'll ensure we do our best to provide exactly that, and your feedback on
> it as it is written (or after, even) is most welcome.

Great. The feedback stands above :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team