List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: How to represent variable-length messages
From:       Nicolas Ternisien <nicolas.ternisien () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-30 8:11:18

The real problem with messages separated with a <separator-char> is
that translations are not always used to be displayed on the screen,
and more particularly transmitted to a Qt widget directly (as a
'label' property for example), or can be modified before being
displayed.

If you give the ability to translators to magically add multiple
translations, it will probably have some strange behavior the original
developer didn't expect (like, displaying on the screen the entire "2
choices@2@2 choices done.")

The advantage of multiple messages is that the developer will have to
deliberately provide the way to translators to add multiple messages,
and if he did, he will expect such result without any bad surprise.