List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Suggestion about docbook generation
From:       Marek Laane <bald () smail ! ee>
Date:       2009-10-25 21:29:13

pühapäev, 25. oktoober 2009 22:49:04 kirjutas Albert Astals Cid:
> A Diumenge, 25 d'octubre de 2009, Cristina Yenyxe González García va
escriure:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I've been translating KPhotoAlbum's documentation to Spanish during
> > the last two weeks and after that, I realized that if I don't have a
> > 100% in all its PO files, it is "useless", in the sense that the main
> > docbook file is not generated and the docs can't be read. The doc is
> > always one step after the GUI, but this generation method doesn't make
> > it very rewarding :-(
>
> Yes, doc is not as rewarding as gui, we agree there.
>
> > I don't know if it would be possible to change it, but it would be
> > interesting to make it in a "Wikipedia way", using all the translated
> > docbooks and, if there is one which has not been yet translated,
> > marking it with a red (instead of blue) link in the main docbook of
> > the application. This way, more pages will be available for the final
> > user, and translators will see more of their work out there.
> >
> > Do you think it would be very complicated? I suppose the HTML and CSS
> > part is the easiest one, it's the back-end what makes me doubt :-)
>
> I'm not sure partially translated manuals are a good idea, what do others
> think?

It may depend as there are some manuals which contain parts maybe not very
important for user (IIRC some kdeedu manuals contain chapter for prospective
developer or translator which are quite irrelevant for simple user).
I think even, if index.docbook is not translated but some separately
translatable sub-parts are, it may be still useful for users.

> Albert

Marek Laane
Estonian translator