List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Multiple catalogs for knetworkmanager (and others)
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-09-03 9:16:24

Torsdag den 3. september 2009 08:44:59 skrev Burkhard Lück:
> Some numbers, not counting the plasma applet, which has to be separate:
>
> 1) currently networkmanagement_*ui, kcm_networkmanagement, knetworkmanager,
> libknm* all together 1150 messages in 8 catalogs
>
> 2) extracting all messages to one catalog 594 messages -> theoretical
>  minimum. Maybe we would need context for some messages to distinguish
>  equal msgid's which need different translation.
>
> 3) networkmanagement_*ui, kcm_networkmanagement, knetworkmanager, libknm*
>  into one catalog makes 668 messages in 8 catalogs
>
> Option 3 seems like a good compromise to, it reduces the number of messages
>  to 58% - near to the possible minumum - and requires minimal editing of
>  the code (change of 6 insertCatalog calls).
>
> What do you think?

I guess option 3 could work. I think it's intended that the lib* can easily be
packaged and distributed separately, for use with the e.g. NM plasmoid,
instead of the monolithic systray applet (knetworkmanager). Maybe the kcm*
should be in the same POT as lib*.

I too prefer fewer, larger POs, but like Chusslove said earlier in the thread,
it all depends on how exactly it's intended to be distributed.