List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: color kcm translation (was: [KDE Usability] Description of
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-08-27 23:57:53

Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> [If you really need to keep layout clean maybe it will be better not
> using letters at all (just icons). It will significantly increase
> usability and lower threshold for users. :)

How do you represent "Inactive" with an icon? Keep in mind that said
icon must resemble a character or so of text (monochrome, composed of
lines) :-). Plus there is the technical difficulty of recoloring the
icon so that it is an effective preview.

Though... in a sense you could say I am already doing that, using the
"icons" 'a', 'i', '!', '=' and '+' for active, inactive, negative,
neutral and positive (respectively).

Besides for ideographic languages it is clearly best to simply use the
appropriate ideograph :-).

--
Matthew
For great justice!! -- Captain (Zero Wing)