List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: color kcm translation (was: [KDE Usability] Description of
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-08-24 23:30:27

Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns, 24 d'agost de 2009, Matthew Woehlke va escriure:
>> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
>>> Because it does not fit the screen. But I think that it is better to
>>> decide up to translator -- she/he knows the language after all and
>>> such tips may do more harm than good.
>>>
>>> Besides, in such case, I would opt to wait and see if this is really
>>> problem (i.e. if translators need such tips).
>> They do. Which reminds me, I'd like to commit the attached and edit
>> various i18n comments/extracomments to point at it.
>>
>> Basically this is a guide for translators how to translate text in the
>> color kcm for best usability, for elements where the text itself isn't
>> necessarily as important as how many characters long the translations
>> are. It covers rationale as well as suggestions for several areas of
>> translation.
>>
>> Any thoughts? Is this sort of thing acceptable, and if not, anyone have
>> any better ideas?
>
> Seems a possible solution for those teams that are careful (some are not mind
> you).
>
> In the ideal world we would not need that but if you have ruled out any other
> possible solution like a different layouting (i'm getting tedious i know) i
> think you could commit it to trunk and to branch AFTER 4.3.1 is tagged.

Well since you mentioned it again, I can talk about it here rather than
the other thread. My stance is... well, outlined in the document
attached to the previous message :-).

I don't want translation concerns to dictate the layout. Indeed, I don't
want the /text/ to dictate the layout, as you can plainly tell from the
generic preview that uses single letters for just about everything :-).
(And further, the bits about *minimum* length are important; one of the
reasons for the set preview is that it's hard to get a good feel for a
color from a preview string that is one character long.) IMO it's better
to have inadequate text (generic preview, case in point!) to keep the
preview small; especially as it already nibbles away at the size
available for other, important controls.

At the very least, adding the i18n of " text" as is done IIRC in the
translations demonstrated in the previously mentioned bug is just
gratuitous and unneeded :-).

It's not a problem if there is imperfect adoption; that just means we
have a basis for requesting different translations (politely, of course
;-) ).

That said, if there are no objections, am I on the right track with the
best way to communicate this with the translation teams?

--
Matthew
First time I've gotten a programming job that required a drug test. I