List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    KGpg: the lost string
From:       Rolf Eike Beer <kde () opensource ! sf-tec ! de>
Date:       2009-05-23 16:14:46

Hi,

as I found out the hard way (being shocked my keyring was wrong or fearing
that there was some code bug) I found out that one string was lost in KGpg
between 4.0 and 4.1. This string is " [local signature]". It would not come
back exactly like this, but I would like to have it back.

For those now familiar with KGpg or GPG a short introduction what I'm talking
about (all others may skip this and the next paragraph): you can sign other
peoples keys to show you have checked their identity and belive the keys
belong to them. You then can upload these signatures to a keyserver to share
with everyone, so everyone knows I checked Stephan Binners identity for
example.

Sometimes you don't have checked this, e.g. a person you know from the net
which you believe the key belongs to. Then you sign that key with a local
signature so you for your person have a signed key of that person but that
signature can't be exported to a keyserver. I use this for example when my
friends have a new GPG key or when I mail to random "new" people when I have
not met with them in person and there is no other trust path to them. The
point is: these signatures are meaningful only in my keyring, I can't export
them and I can't be blamed by anyone for signing a key which I have not
checked carefully. At the end people are less strict doing local signatures
than public ones so there is a difference regarding trust between local and
public sigs.

So, the point is, until KDE 4.0.x this was shown by printing the public
signatures as "sig" and the local ones as "sig" + i18n(" [local signature]").
Then I rewrote the display classes and somehow lost this string. I would like
to bring it back better sooner than later as it is a regression compared to
earlier versions.

I would like to bring that string back as i18n("%1 [local signature]", sig) to
get rid of that string concatenation at the same time. This string shouldn't
hurt much as the string "local signature" is already present in another
message (trunk/KDE/kdeutils/kgpg/selectsecretkey.cpp:64) and only needs to be
copied from there.

If that matters I would even do the job and scan every existing translation if
"local signature" is translated there and copy it over to the new string with
CCMAIL to the maintainers list.

Greetings,

Ei*breakingstuff*ke