List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: translations licensing
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-04-30 20:25:27

A Dijous, 30 d'abril de 2009, Rinse de Vries va escriure:
> Op woensdag 29 april 2009, schreef Gora Mohanty:
> > On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:22:02 +0200
> > Michael Skiba <michael@michael-skiba.de> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > This sounds somewhat familiar... didn't have had that discussion
> > > earlier? (speaking in months/years)
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > There was a similar (but, not quite the same) discussion
> > on the GNOME localisation list, and I believe that the
> > consensus was that the translations follow the licence of
> > the application, thanks to a line in the header of most
> > GNOME .po files saying: "# This file is distributed under
> > the same license as the XYZ package", where XYZ is the
> > application for which the .po files are generated. KDE .po
> > files also have a similar line, is it not?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gora
>
> Dunno about other countries, and IANAL, but in our country, in order to use
> another license than the application uses, you need to get permission of
> all the autors of the work.

Sure? I don't see why that should happen if i'm using a compatible license
with yours.

> And translated po-files are considered derived work, so its copyright is
> shared between the original developer that created the english text in the
> po files and the translator.

And to be sincere i don't think the "original text" can be considered a
derivative work, it's just there because it's the way translations work, but
if .po was

# of order of appearance of text in program -> translation

It would still work (although much more difficult to translate)

Albert