List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    how to translate kdeplasma-addons/libconversion.po?
From:       Frederik Schwarzer <schwarzerf () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-30 17:11:47

Hi,

I have some trouble translating libconversion.po from kdeplasma-addons.
Every unit is mentioned there several times (for user-fuzziness reasons).
So the way it should be translated might be to just think about notions in my
language and fill the "slots". But this seems ... confusing. There is no
direct logical link between msgid and msgstr.
- changing the original makes an invalid fuzzy
- if I have 8 notions in the original and only two notions in my translation,
  I have to leave the extra 6 strings empty or fill them with one of my  two
  notions
- here, plural forms are not handled

Here is an example of one unit:
msgid "square foot"
msgid "square feet"
msgid "ft ²"
msgid "square ft"
msgid "sq foot"
msgid "sq ft"
msgid "sq feet"
msgid "feet ²"

Is it really useful to have hundreds of strings like that.

Would it be possible to change the software to have these strings in a form
like
msgid "square feet; ft ²; square ft; sq foot; sq ft; sq feet; feet ²"
And leave it to the translators to fill their list accordinly?

Regards