List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Strawman Proposal: Smart typo correction to reduce burden on
From:       Michael Skiba <michael () michael-skiba ! de>
Date:       2009-02-27 14:08:28

Am Freitag, 27. Februar 2009 11:59:02 schrieb Andrew Coles:
> 1) Use of British English
> - Before   "Configures the Behaviour of X"
> - After    "Configures the Behavior of X"
Yes

> 2) Splitting contractions
> - Before   "Changes won't be saved"
> - After    "Changes will not be saved"
Yes (really that important?)

> 3) Common mis-spelling
> - Before   "An error has occured"
> - After    "An error has occurred"
Yes (if it's obvious)

> 4) Missing . at end of message, in cases where a message contains several
> sentences.
> - Before   "Here is a message.  Please read this"
> - After    "Here is a message.  Please read this."
No, could change the meaning of a sentence

> 5) Exclamation point usage
> - Before   "The file %1 cannot be found!"
> - After    "The file %1 cannot be found"
No, could also change the meaning of a sentence

Speaking for myself and only about the way this proposal works (see below),I
think the first 3 are ok, since they'd only change the original message and
are purely of cosmetic nature. 4 and 5 (and sometimes 3) however would need a
manual review since there's something missing in the translation then, and
the script won't be able to determind in which place it has to add the
missing part (nor will it be able to determind if it changes the meaning or
not).

But keep in mind, that probably noone (or only a minority) will see/use those
updated translations anymore, so I'm really not sure whether this makes sense
or not.

Regards
Michael