List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Strawman Proposal: Smart typo correction to reduce burden on
From:       Andrew Coles <andrew_coles () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-02-27 10:16:43

> This means any string change will cause
> fuzzies (= thus non translated string) for 40+ languages,
> and that's something we don't want now.

I think I have a solution - let's knock it down and see where it goes:).

I find typos when translating into British English, so I have:

- the name of the .po file I found it in, say kdebase/foo.po
- the msgid and msgstr
- some description of where it was from (line 55 of foo.cpp etc.)

So, what I could do is fix the typo (making a new msgid), then update the \
kdebase/foo.po files for all other languages to translate this new msgid into \
whatever the old msgid was translated into.

The upshot of this is that typo fixes don't generate new work for translators - it \
changes the string in the source, but maintains the translations of it.  How does \
that sound?  It could be generally useful for fixing typos in KDE - with the \
exception of fixing plural form usage, a msgid change that doesn't change its meaning \
doesn't need to generate work for the translators

Andrew