List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: usage of &kappname; in documentation
From:       Frederik Schwarzer <schwarzerf () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-25 0:33:19

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 01:18:45 Chusslove Illich wrote:

Hi,

> For this reason in my language we completely do away with entities when
> translating documentation; when I see "...of &okteta;..." I replace it with
> "...Oktete...", no entity there. If, however, the the proper name is masked
> as "...&kappname;..." then I have to check what it actually is, in order to
> know what to replace it with.

I do not see where information is lost here since you are working on okteta.po
anyway. Instead of guessing the application name from the entity, you look at
the window title (or whereever you see the filename). With both you have the
same hint for the app name.

As far as I see it, your reasoning here is not so much &okteta; -> &kappname;
but more Okteta -> &something;, is that right?

> This check should waste little time overall,
> but there's a much more serious issue: if the name changes, I don't get a
> fuzzy in PO file, and thus don't get signalled that I should modify the
> translation.
>
> This is basically the same problem as "word puzzles" in UI messages.

Ok, this sounds rasonable.

So you think it would be best from the translator's point of view to get rid
of these entities completely?

Regards