List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: I18n in koffice scripts
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2008-12-17 21:54:40

On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Dag Andersen wrote:
> On Mandag 15 december 2008 21:43:04 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Dilluns 15 Desembre 2008, Dag Andersen va escriure:
> > > Ok, I've been around the block a few times more, so I'll try to sum up
> > > my findings.
> > > First the premisses for this:
> > > I want to have some scripts translated :)
> > > These scripts are always run from within a koffice application (eg
> > > kplato) and can be regarded as an extension/part of that applications
> > > functionallity. This means that the user expects the language (and
> > > locale in general) to be the same as the rest of the application.
>
> (snip)
>
> > IMHO it makes much more sense to it to be in kross and not in kokross,
> > any other program using kross will have the same problem than KPlato is
> > facing now. kross core already depends on a load of kdelibs libs using
> > KIcon, KUrl, KMimeType, KStandardDirs, i18n, etc.
>
> Yes, ok, last attempt.
> I have created a new module "kdetranslation" in kross/modules (not
> committed) that encapsulates the i18n* methods. Use in python:
> import Kross
> t = Kross.module("kdetranslation")
> print t.i18n("This string can be translated")
>
> This is implemented in kdelibs/kross/modules so it is availabale to all kde
> scripts, and it doesn't depend on core being kde, so if core i's moved
> later, no problem.
> Why not just stuff it into the "forms" module? Well, I think this is
> cleaner. Sebastian, is this ok with you?

Absolute yes :)

> > So even some might think dropping KDE from kross is a good idea i don't
> > see it can happen easily as Qt does not have things to replace KMimeType
> > or KStandardDirs for example.

Both are not hard requirments. The only hard requirment, KLibLoader, was
replaced before 4.0 already. That's why kross comes with it's own "load
plugin" logic for the interpreters+modules rather then using kde's...

> > But then, i'm obviously not kross maintainer nor and the single patch i
> > commited does not make me even a developer of it, so feel free to ignore
> > my opinion :-D
>
> I'm also not the maintainer ;)

and I still feel like Georg Bush if it comes to i18n (ok, not that bad since I
know now at least *something* but still... :)