List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kdmgreet always got 6 fuzzies
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-11-28 2:18:04

>> [: Frank Weng :]
>> Another "coincidence" is that these 6 messages all have empty msgctxt
>> strings. However I tried to fill something in the msgctxt, and got the
>> same result.
>
> [: Chusslove Illich :]
> Well, these messages got msgctxt fields added, so empty or not, it's going
> to make the previous, non-msgctxt equipped messages fuzzy. That's the
> expected behavior.

Setting aside that the code should probably not make context calls with
empty context (for good style, to avoid translators spinning around it), I'd
say there's also a bug in Lokalize here -- it removes empty context on
saving altogether. I.e. it makes no difference between no context and empty
context, which is not at all an unusual in terms of implementation. Come to
think of it, same bug exists in Pology too :)

On the other hand, while no bug can be attributed to xgettext and msgmerge
as it is, perhaps there is something to be discussed about upgrading their
behavior. Like, should xgettext warn about empty contexts, refuse to extract
such messages, extract them without context... I'll write to Gettext
maintainer.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team