List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: New weirdness in kdebase...
From:       "Ihar Hrachyshka" <ihar.hrachyshka () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-27 22:03:04

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic@gmx.net> wrote:
>> [: Ihar Hrachyshka :]
>> Why don't we use just characters "<" and ">"? Why do we need [&lt; and
>> &gt;] at all?
>
> On the one hand, I find this question slightly odd. &lt; and &gt; are used
> in many messages (e.g. when desired output is Qt rich text), why the sudden
> interest for these?

Em... I started translation of KDE4 several months ago, already
reached 75% of essentials, 50% of kdebase, and I swear such messages
are not frequent things in modules I've already touched :)

> On the other hand, in a KDE4 PO actually every string should pass as well-
> formed XML. This means that raw less-then character should appear only when
> opening a tag. Some original strings violate this, though, especially those
> untouched since KDE3. i18n system interprets markup conservatively, which
> yields expected result in most cases. But this should not be a reason to
> introduce new non-conforming strings.

Ok, if this is the conformant string then keep it as is. I just
thought that such html stuff should not be in gettext messages...