List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Questions about kdelibs4.po
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-10-07 20:19:16

> [: Diego Iastrubni :]
> String 1159 says that weekend is from Saturday to Sunday, which is not
> always valid. How should I approach this translation?

The right thing to do would likely be to fix the message into saying just
"Weekend", and then fix the code to know what weekend is locally. Likely
this is also not trivial to implement (especially if the option is sent to
CUPS as is...) So I'd just translate it as "Saturday and Sunday", without
mentioning the word "weekend" if it doesn't apply.

> Strings 1686,1685 are "abc" and "ABC". Should I translate this to my
> alphabet? What is the purpose of those strgins?

Was there really not enough context? It goes:

  #: kdeui/widgets/krichtextwidget.cpp:374
  msgctxt "@title:menu"
  msgid "List Style"
  msgstr ""

  #: kdeui/widgets/krichtextwidget.cpp:376
  msgctxt "@item:inmenu no list style"
  msgid "None"
  msgstr ""

  #: kdeui/widgets/krichtextwidget.cpp:377
  msgctxt "@item:inmenu disc list style"
  msgid "Disc"
  msgstr ""

  #: kdeui/widgets/krichtextwidget.cpp:378
  msgctxt "@item:inmenu circle list style"
  msgid "Circle"
  msgstr ""

  #: kdeui/widgets/krichtextwidget.cpp:379
  msgctxt "@item:inmenu square list style"
  msgid "Square"
  msgstr ""

  #: kdeui/widgets/krichtextwidget.cpp:380
  msgctxt "@item:inmenu numbered lists"
  msgid "123"
  msgstr ""

  #: kdeui/widgets/krichtextwidget.cpp:381
  msgctxt "@item:inmenu lowercase abc lists"
  msgid "abc"
  msgstr ""

  #: kdeui/widgets/krichtextwidget.cpp:382
  msgctxt "@item:inmenu uppercase abc lists"
  msgid "ABC"
  msgstr ""

To me it pretty straight out tells that this is a menu in which the user
chooses (as in menu item with a checkbox) bulleting style for a list, from
these several offered. I personally went somewhat more verbose, and
translated the last three to the equivalent of "numbers", "lowercase
letters", and "uppercase letters".

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team