List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: templates/internal
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-07-02 19:35:14

> [: mvillarino :]
> One problem found: At the present time (or at least last night), there
> where files called krunner.po and libplasma.po both at kdebase and
> elsewhere (eg-multimedia and pg-base, iirc), in this case, it fails to
> scatter all and also to scatter just a particular file; it's necessary to
> move one gather file with colliding names out of the way to do the trick.

Do I understand correctly that:

  $ cd $KDEREPO/trunk/l10n-kde4
  $ posummit.py scripts/messages.summit gl gather --create --force
  $ # ... change a message in gl/internal/.../krunner.po ...
  $ posummit.py scripts/messages.summit gl scatter krunner

is failing to update all branch catalogs? I get the following output after
the last command:

  <    gl/messages/kdebase/krunner.po  gl/internal/messages/kdebase/krunner.po
  <    gl/messages/playground-base/krunner.po  \
gl/internal/messages/kdebase/krunner.po  <    \
../../branches/stable/l10n-kde4/gl/messages/kdebase/krunner.po  \
gl/internal/messages/kdebase/krunner.po

i.e. it does scatter to all branch catalogs. Or the problem is elsewhere?

> Also, to ease maintenance on a team like galician's (short of people, and
> with much less discipline to use only this system) [...]

Actually, I had in mind that the system would be particularly useful for
short-of-people, nascent-terminology, fluid-style scenario. I.e. require
less maintenance and coordination than the current alternating-branches
system -- at the cost of some extra aptitude on coordinator's part :)

> [...] what I do is scatter, svn delete messages/internal, replace files
> with contributions from other translators and commit. Afterwards, I wait a
> day, update an summit again.

Ah, you're trying to use summit to "spread out" updates made in one branch
to the other branch? If so, I don't think it can really work. E.g. if there
is a translated message both in stable and trunk, and translator modifies
the one in the stable (fix, terminology, style...), when you gather/scatter
you will loose the updated stable version to the stale trunk one (trunk
trumps stable).

> [semi-ot]Btw, is there no pology script to fully check files (sintax, xml,
> %1, and so on) prior to commit?

No, but good idea. I've just added -c option to posieve.py, to run msgfmt -c
on each PO beforehand, and skip processing it if it doesn't pass. So one can
run:

  $ posieve.py -c check-xml-kde4 paths...

to have both msgfmt and check-xml-kde4 checks.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team