List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Launchpad vs. KDE-SVN translation synchronisation
From:       Martin Schlander <suse () linuxin ! dk>
Date:       2008-05-16 8:51:08

Fredag den 16. Maj 2008 10:01:02 skrev Sveinn í Felli:
> Does anyone know how and if translations on KDE-based files
> in Launchpad (Ubuntu, Kubuntu etc.) do ever make it to the
> KDE-SVN repository ?
> Would that be up to each language team to synchronise those
> changes or is it possible to automate the process somehow ?
>
> Seems that now and then, they read KDE-SVN translations over
> to Launchpad/Rosetta, but I'm wondering if the inverse
> happens too.

Danish translators of all major projects have agreed to "boycot" the forked
translations of Launchpad, and do all translation upstream. (Note that in a
few cases launchpad _is_ upstream).

If there was some automagic merging of translations from launchpad into Danish
KDE translations I'd go absolutely berserk. How on earth could we maintain
any kind of quality or consistency.

My point of view is that there's no way that Launchpad can become useful to
us. Just leave them and their fork to themselves. If people are serious about
translating they'll come to us.

Of course people should be made aware that they're working on a fork, and not
proper KDE (or GNOME or whatever) translations.