List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [translate-pootle] KDE on pootle.wordforge.org
From:       Clytie Siddall <clytie () riverland ! net ! au>
Date:       2008-02-05 7:29:26

To: KDE i18n list, Pootle list

On 04/02/2008, at 10:40 PM, F Wolff wrote:

> Op Maandag 2008-02-04 skryf Mohammad Ebrahim Mohammadi Panah:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to have KDE on pootle.wordforge.org?
>> It will help some KDE localization teams. It probably would also
>> attract
>> many translators to Pootle.
>>

> Hallo
>
> Currently (as I wrote in another message today) we are migrating the
> server, so currently there is nothing on the Wordforge Pootle ;-)
>
> Seriously though, we probably won't be able to host a lot of other
> projects, even after the migration. At the moment we don't have a
> lot of
> resources to offer to server and project administration. If you are
> able
> to put up a server yourself, it might be your best chance in the short
> and medium term.

In fact, the purpose of Pootle is to provide a tool to other projects,
not to host those projects itself. Debian and OpenOffice.org, among
many other projects, now run their own Pootle servers. It would not be
difficult for KDE to do the same, or for a KDE dev/user to run one as
a demonstration to the main KDE project.

I agree: having a Pootle server would make translation at KDE (and
anywhere else ;) ) much easier, and would attract a lot of
participation from people who aren't willing, or don't have the time,
to wrestle with file formats and translation procedures.

Pootle is ideal, moreover, for distributed translation, making it
possible for any number of people to contribute together, without
conflicts or confusions. It supports syncing via SVN, and a number of
other version control systems.

It's also great for getting a few strings done, or checking the stats,
in your lunchbreak. ;)

You can use it from any computer, you can use it any time, and it is
always up-to-date.

For those who haven't encountered this invaluable tool yet, please see
[1].

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index