List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Localization of non-text resources
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-01-27 16:55:44

Starting from 4.1 (but something could be fixed up earlier too), we can
localize non-text resources. I primarily had artwork in mind, e.g. icons,
but it'll work for anything that an application pulls from outside. Here is
an example of some icons localized:

  http://caslav.gmxhome.de/image/kde4-localized-icons-01-ann.png

Aside from the obvious need of having someone create them :) the
instructions on how to organize localized non-text resources are here:

  http://techbase.kde.org/Localization/Concepts/Non_Text_Resources

and how to track them (i.e. like ok, fuzzy, obsolete for PO files) here:

  http://techbase.kde.org/Localization/Lbundle_Check

One particular sore spot for me in this respect was the KDE startup splash.
For a long time I thought that it would be real nice if the splash itself --
a phrase, an art motive -- would be one's first glimpse of the localized
desktop. Here's an example of that too (compared with original):

  http://caslav.gmxhome.de/image/kde4-original-splash-01.jpg
  http://caslav.gmxhome.de/image/kde4-localized-splash-04.jpg

However, a slight problem with the startup splash is that its code is
independent of either KDE or Qt libraries (for some technical reason), so it
needs longish custom additions to support the localization as described
above. As witnessed by the screenshots, I did make the additions, but
haven't committed them yet, as they definitely must go through the
maintainer of that code. It would ease my argument if some other teams would
like to have startup splashes localized, rather than trying to push it for
one language only :) Just as an intention, no need to commit to the work
right now. Perhaps we could even ask artists to design a tasty template for
localized splash, so that we can easily just add some text, flag, or another
graphical detail.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team