List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Quoted Tanscript of the Open Message to the KDE Opensource
From:       Rinse de Vries <rinsedevries () kde ! nl>
Date:       2008-01-23 21:13:46

Hi,

From the links you posted, i understand that you want to remove the character
shape 'K' from the latin alphabet because the shape of it offends you. The
website however doesn't show why the shape is offending (why is it
suicidle?).

I also wonder why you only picked out the application KWord to get changed
into something else: if the K shape is offending, doesn't that mean that
every application using a K in it (including the projectname KDE) should be
changed?

About changing K's in the software: KDE is opensource and fully capable of
getting localized.
Dunno if every application name is translatable (e.g. dunno if the name kword
is hardcoded and not translatable in some places in the code), but if it is,
the job is quite easy: just download the po files for your language, do a
search and replace for every K inside of it, compile the po-files into
mo-files and place them in
$KDEDIR/share/locale/your_language_code/LC_MESSAGES

Compiling desktop*.po files is a bit more tricky, but is explained on the KDE
website.

Regards, Rinse