List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: What to do with old documentation?
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-12-27 22:48:20

A Dijous 27 Desembre 2007, Thomas Reitelbach va escriure:
> On Donnerstag, 27. Dezember 2007, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > I've been having a look at documentation files for KDE4 and i've found
> > that we have several old docbooks, that, for exaple, means there is an
> > hungarian translation of khelpcenter but its contents are not uptodate
> > with the english version.
> >
> > This can happen because how documentation translation works: you need to
> > completely translate all the docmessages of a given docbook and then run
> > update_xml to generate the translated docbook.
> >
> > So i'm asking myself what to do here:
> >  a) Remove old documentation files
> >  b) Keep old documentation files
>
> I don't want to see our translated docbooks removed, just because they seem
> to be old. The problem is that a non-native speaker can't decide, if our
> _translation_ is outdated, disregarding the status of the original docbook.
> For example an english docbook can be outdated. But this does not have to
> be necessarily true for the translation.
>
> IMO every team should decide themselves if they want a "clean" start or
> not. Speaking for the german team, we don't want this. Please don't remove
> our files. We have some docbooks where the existing docbooks are ok, even
> if current docmessages are not 100%. The result would be a deleted docbook,
> which can't be regenerated because few strings are missing. This is not
> good.

Ok, first completely negative vote reached, so i won't execute my plan of
a "clean" start for documentation of all languages.

Please language coordinators remember to check the status of your
documentation before the tag day (4th of January) and act in consequence.

Albert