List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: make rich text in kstars.po more legible
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2007-12-12 20:36:27

Il Wednesday 12 December 2007 20:41:21 Federico Zenith ha scritto:
> mercoledì 12 dicembre 2007, Jason Harris ha scritto:
> > Hello translators,
> >
> > Luciano pointed out to me that I have some nearly illegible strings in
> > kstars, which are the result of using rich text in Qt designer.  I have
> > written a python script to modify my ui files so that strings like this:
> >
> > [snip]
>
> Well, first and foremost, we are talking about 11 strings, so it should be
> fine.
> However, I can see the tags just fine in KBabel and opening the PO and POT
> files with text editors (vim) and WebSVN:
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/templates/messages/kdeedu/kstars.pot?
>revision=747494&view=markup
>
> So, if that's a thing you do for translators, we would actually not need it
> (but thanks so much for the thought). If that's something you do to clean
> up your code, that's also a good thing, but it would maybe be better to
> wait until thawing, someone might just miss out on the update.
>
> Cheers,
> -Federico

Hi Federico,
well, the point is that the html tags are very verbose -- there are more tags
than meaningful text in the messages, and that complicates translation.
Another point is that the style and font size is hard-coded in the messages,
which prevents fonts settings to affect the messages, which is bad for
accessibility.

Well, for myself, it would be ok either way, for the 4.0 release, since I
translated all messages (except for a single "The " message that I have
doubts about how to translate), and it would be easy to just "unfuzzy" the
messages if they were changed.

I would not execute the script automatically on every file at this point
however, since too many messages may be affected.

But something like this would be useful in general, if used for subsequent KDE
releases. Kstars is not the only program that has this particular problem. A
discussion about this has already taken place here some time ago.

An alternative would be to have the qt designer to generate HTML in a more
terse way.

Luciano