List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Whose default?
From:       Yukiko Bando <ybando () k6 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2007-11-12 12:42:09

Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > [: Yukiko Bando :]
> > I suppose the "default" is already among the list of ambiguous words for
> > Krazy [...]
>
> Remarkably not :) Added.
>
> > Area: geographical area or dimensions?
> > Contests: when it means "Table of Contents"
> > Email: email in general, email address (e.g. as a column title) or verb?
>
> Added too.

Thanks.

> Hm, perhaps Krazy could also keep a list of context proposals, and issue a
> more verbose warning on words that have them...

Please invent something. :)

> I would think that, actually, English original itself should not be using
> plain standalone "default" for something user defined. I.e. that this is a
> usability before a translation issue: when someone is told to "try the
> defaults", what would that mean in case of "shifting" defaults? Perhaps
> "user default" or "user preset", would be less misleading. (I'm assuming
> that the real, fixed defaults are much more frequent then the user definable
> ones.)

I recently checked all messages in trunk which contain "default" and
changed KDE's fixed defaults to "standard" and user's defaults to
"default" (except those in playground and there are still many that I can
not figure out which). It seems to me that "default something" often
means user's default (default identity, default encoding etc. etc.) but
I have no idea about single-word "default"...

It might be better and easier for translators to use one translation for
both but I too think it would confuse users in some situations.

Yukiko