List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Traces of keyboard accelerators (CJK issue)
From:       Yukiko Bando <ybando () k6 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2007-10-21 1:28:36

Hello,

We can not add accelerator markers to CJK characters so do like this:

msgid "&Save"
msgstr "保存(&S)"

A problem occurs when this message is reused for icon text on toolbars,
button tooltips and items in shortcut lists. The & is not displayed there
but the other part remains (please have a look at the attachment). It's
ugly and takes up space.

Not only that. I know where they come from and am kind of used to seeing
them but new users might ask "What are these alphabets in parentheses?
Single letter keyboard shortcuts??"

It's not a show stopper and developers should have more important things
to do but I want to have it fixed in KDE 4. It doesn't seem effective to
write a bug report against each and every application. Where would be the
best place to report the problem?

Regards,

Yukiko

["accelerator.png" (image/png)]