List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kbabel in kde4
From:       Gudmund Areskoug <gudmundpublic () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-13 13:40:17

Hi,

Nick Shaforostoff wrote:
> On Пятница 20 июля 2007, you wrote:
> > And maybe some feedback as well (feature-wise). From my days as a KDE
> > translator I remember "rough translation" from KBabel as a great help to
> > avoid re-translating duplicate messages. And the web page says this is
> > _not_ to be implemented.
> And it also explains why: because sometimes one english string may have
> two or more different translations depending on the context.

then how about taking context into account?

This could be done either through some sort of context marker system
(browse the archives, and there might be some postings from me on
hierarchical subject/context tags etc.) or through context info derived
from file name, header info and surrounding info, or through parsing and
comparing the actual text context where possible, e. g. comparing
surrounding strings if there is an earlier version etc..

> What I'm going to do is implement _interactive_ (or message-by-message) rough \
> translation, when, if the message is already translated somewhere else, it suggests \
> the translation_s_ (several, not one!) and displays _them_ in the helper window.
> translator then may chose one of the translation suggestions by pressing ctrl+1, \
> ctrl+2, .. or ctrl+9, which will immediately insert it into msgstr  (replacing the \
> old translation if it exists).
> What old rough translation didnt provide is the ability to chose.

Sounds good, IMO.

BR,
Gudmund, with some experience from one of those expensive commercial
tools (not Trados) ;)