List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: amarok 1.4.7 - string freeze
From:       Harald Sitter <sitter.harald () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-06 20:56:46

On Monday 06 August 2007 22:24:24 Michael Skiba wrote:
> We've a 5%hurdle in Germany for political parties(but that aren't always
> reasonable parties...) :D
>
> I'd suggest 25% should be an acceptable limit? (maybe even a bit higher?
> Depending on how much vital strings an application contains)

Well 30-40%. I think the bigger the application, the lower the % of vital
strings is, and I guess for Amarok (which might be one of the biggest in
extragear) it's _at least_ 35% (where vital means for me to be at least
needed for basic usage, not including advanced or exotic features).

Here are current stats form 1.4.7rc1:
http://aplg.kollide.net/amarok/l10n/amarok-1.4.7+hydrogen1.html

I applied red to every translation with less than 35% -> 18, and I find it
really hard to belive that those translations are actually maintained (since
for almost [if not all of them], there was no progress since 1.4.6). Am I
wrong on that? I mean, usually on removes unmaintained features/code, and I
think the same should apply for localizations, since there is no reason to
keep a translation released which is getting worse and worse with every
release.

If any of the translators of a red marked language reads this... I'd really
appreciate information on why the translational level is that low, and/or
whether it is still maintained at all.

--
Harald Sitter
Amarok team        Rokymotion division     Mail: harald@getamarok.com