List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: amarok 1.4.7 - string freeze
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-08-05 11:29:01

Harald Sitter wrote:
> It's 2 strings. So if we consider them as a 2 minutes
> job (probably a bit more since SVN current lags slightly),
> and work according to the Getting Things Done princips,
> it gotta be done right now.

You're assuming that every translator is going to check
his email account immediately after you send out the
email. Not every translator is like us developers (and
not even all developers are like this) and hangs on IRC
and email all day waiting for new bits from the KDE pro-
ject. Thus it's unreasonable to assume that quite a few
of the languages you're interested in having in your
release will even *react* within two days, especially
on a weekend.

And that's fine, really. Leaving enough time for i18n
is simply part of the game.

> Actually I consider to leave everything to chance,
> maybe someone else from the team notifies you about
> releases, maybe not.

That's exactly the mindset you _shouldn't_ be having
about i18n: By notifying the translators of your
schedule and making sure they have enough time to
translate your application, you're not doing _them_
a favor, you're doing _your application_ a favor. i18n
is the key to local market penetration, especially as
our user base grows beyond geeks that are fluent in
English as a matter of course.

So stop whining and fix the problem. If your co-devs
don't get this, smack 'em.

--
Regards,
Eike Hein, hein@kde.org