List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: amarok 1.4.7 - string freeze
From:       Thomas Reitelbach <tr () erdfunkstelle ! de>
Date:       2007-08-05 0:40:34

On Sonntag, 5. August 2007, Harald Sitter wrote:

> First of all... _tagging_ is on Monday August 6, the tarball is actually to
> be rolled on 8th (recently set this ... actually for you ... I just forgot
> to note it anywhere).
>
> It's 2 strings. So if we consider them as a 2 minutes job (probably a bit
> more since SVN current lags slightly), and work according to the Getting
> Things Done princips, it gotta be done right now.

Well, it's not only about translating 2 strings:
- Translations have to be proofread and tested in real live. Obviously it's
not much work to translate and test 2 strings, but usually teams will try to
proofread and test the complete app before it's released.
- Sometimes we encounter a broken messages target which has to be repaired,
scripty has to run at night, then we can start again
-Sometimes we have to compile Amarok first before we can test our
translations. Usually this is no problem, but sometimes and for some people
it might be ... how would they proceed in such a short time?

But even if a translation is at 100% the 2 days will not suffice in any way.
So please don't simply count the strings that have to be translated and
calculate the freeze time based on the sum of strings.

> But, with Amarok the problem in general is that the developers want to have
> as much time as possible to added/edit stuff

Funny, same here for translators - we want to have as much time as possible
for translations. It works for many other apps, why not for Amarok?

> (though stable was also
> announced to be string stable as well), so I try to make the freeze time
> depend on the amount of strings changed, and I personally think that 4 days
> (original the mail should have reached you on friday) is enough to find the
> 2 minutes to translate them.

See above, it's not only about translations.

> Also, something I wanted to note: I already decided (way before development
> begun) to ensure you _at least_ 3 weeks freeze before Amarok 2.0.0.
> Actually I would try to get you _at least_ 6 in case we release the same
> day as KDE (which isn't very likely right now).

This is good and really appreciated!

> Just to mark it once and
> for all: we don't want to discourage you, put any extra pressure on you,
> dictat your live, restrcit your real lifes and we care about our users,
> that's why we care that they get the best possible solution.

Hm? Maybe I'm really stupid, ok. And I know you must hate me because it's
usually me who first complains about amarok's string freeze. But below are
the dates for announcements and taggings for the last amarok releases. Is
this really the best possible solution?

- Amarok 1.4.4: Announcement on 9th of october 2006, tagging on 12th of
october 2006 (3 days)
- Amarok 1.4.5 was missing any anouncement at all (maybe no changed strings?
But what about teams that would like to complete a incomplete translation?)
- Amarok 1.4.6: announcement on 13th of june 2007, RELEASE 17th of june (5
days from announcement to release)
- Amarok 1.4.7: announcement on 4th of august 2007, tagging on 6th (2 days)

> I have to tell you, I'm quite pissed, cause I usually put a lot of effort
> in getting the perfect balance of development and localization work (isn't
> always perfec though). Still it's (for some of you guys) _never_ enough.

Obviously you're talking about me; and it's true, it's not enough. And I'm
really sorry about it. But when I tell that we need more time for
translations, testing and proofreading and then again I get the feeling that
my words are beeing ignored, how could I be satisfied?

> I see no reason for taking this continuing 'you're a******* and devils' any
> longer.

No one calls you a devil or whatever. Everyone here knows that all people
involved in KDE sometimes have a hard time and have to spend a lot of
otherwise free time for the project.
Just give us a sign that you understand our situation as well and not only the
situation of developers and we're happy again :-) The simple solution is:
Give us a _real_ string freeze (10 to 14 days). That's all what I'm asking
for. And I'm sorry that it's always _you_ who has to answer my demanding
mails - don't take it personal!

Cheers and have a good night
Thomas