List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: The "Hebrew" in kdelibs4.po
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-08-01 1:31:08

>> [: Yukiko Bando :]
>> It would be nice if adjective only strings always have context (e.g. what
>> is short, recent what, etc.) just like in dolphin.pot. :)

> [: Kevin Scannell :]
> I'd like to second this motion, on behalf of the Irish team.

This is an old time translators' wish, but now we actually have some
leverage to press it >:)

There is this rather new contraption called "Krazy framework", a barrage of
scripts that is running nightly on the repository, reporting possible
problems in the code. Many programmers are rather prompt to fix these
warnings, so to get Krazy of their back. Since recently there is also a
Krazy checker script for i18n, which at the moment issues warnings about
mismatches in %n placeholders and arguments, and some others.

I could easily upgrade this script to match what will become msgid against
frequently ambiguous English phrases, and issue a warning when context is
missing. I don't see a reason not to do so with explicitly reported phrases,
like those in this thread so far, so please pour in more :)

However, if we would to check for lone adjectives in general, then it would
be good not to overdo it; like, not prepare a list of *all* adjectives in
English, but only some number of most used (how to do this?), for
performance sake. I'll check what number is reasonable.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team