List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KBabel / Kaider
From:       "Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" <sveinki () nett ! is>
Date:       2007-06-21 8:37:21

Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Thomas Reitelbach napisał(a):
>> I wonder if there is a better GUI-implementation for plural forms instead of
>> tabs?! Does anyone have any idea?
>> The current solution in KBabel is not very convenient, will KAider use simple
>> tabs as well or do you have a better solution in mind?
>
> I liked the state of things in KDE3 - all plural forms were in one
> window, so I could see them all at once, check consistency of forms,
> copy one to another, etc.
> I think it should be similar in KDE4 - maybe split the msgstr view into
> 3 (or whatever number of plural forms the language has) horizontal panes?
>
> 	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)

I agree on this, tabs are maybe not the way to go; it's much
more convenient (and precise) when one can see all the
plural forms at once. My language also has 4 declinations,
so full context is important. Some (non-native english
speaking) programmers take the time to write brief
explanations on how a string is to be used, but most
programmers don't.

Testing on two different machines, last version of Kbabel
has problems with automatic addition of new strings into
translation database.

Also there are constant conflicts when submitting some files
(most often the same ones again and again). It may be my SVN
setup's fault but I normally manage to repair this outside
of Kbabel with poedit and manual commit (or even kdesvn).
Seems Kbabel is a bit more stable when the local path does
not include accented letters; changing folder name from
"KDE-Þýðingar" to "KDE-l10n" made some difference but didn't
eliminate the symptoms.

I surely would like a fuzzy-toggle button next to the
translation window or in front of the fuzzy indicator; till
then I keep the navigation bar docked below.

Have a nice summer solstice:

Sveinn í Felli
icelandic translator