List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Number localization in KDE4
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-04-26 8:40:05

> [: Krzysztof Lichota :]
> In my proposal properly marked strings are shown properly as soon as
> developer uses it.

Err, but that would mean that amount-numbers (those 85% or more) would have to
be marked, and the default would be to do nothing with the number?

Somehow I cower before this. In principle, programmers could do something
similar till now -- wrap number arguments with KLocale's formatNumber()
method, to have them localized according to Control Center settings. And we
all know how much this was used.

Admittedly, my original idea is a hammerhead. Sometimes it will bite
programmers directly, forcing self-correction. It may also act
preventively: "Wait a moment, I display a port number here, and that file
size previously was by default showing with thousands separator. Hm..."

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team