List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Number localization in KDE4
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2007-04-26 7:13:20

Chusslove Illich napisaƂ(a):
>> [: Krzysztof Lichota :]
>> I agree. I think the better way to handle it would be to have "unmarked"
>> category and display it without any transformations.
>
> I didn't quite get this one? :)
>
> Since at least 85% of the numbers are amount-numbers, I thought these should
> be default, that is unmarked:
>
> i18np("Delete the file?", "Delete %1 files?", numFiles);
>
> and some sort of mark for identifier numbers, e.g.:
>
> i18n("Connected at port <numid>%1</numid>.", portNum);
>
> And translators would get to choose how these two types are localized (or
> not).

That exactly proves my point :)
If "amount"-like numbers are assumed by default and translator chooses
to change its format, then there is trouble. If "amount" numbers must be
marked, we have 3 options: unmarked, amount, identifier and we can
choose whether to format unmarked as amount or leave it unchanged.
For example, until 90% of strings is marked properly we can choose to
display unmarked unchanged and when all developers get used to marking
strings we can change them to be the same as "amount". Flexibility :)

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)