List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Transcript engine for KDE4
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-04-16 22:22:04

> [: Krzysztof Lichota :]
> You are great man :)

I'm just stubborn ;)

> Can you tell what minimum KDE4 environment is needed to test
> translations? I.e. what modules should be compiled (kdelibs, kdebase,
> JavaScript bindings?) and what options must be set to enable scripting
> for given language.

The shortest/smallest way is to hijack that little helper, kde4-config (nobody
laugh please). Since it's a small command line tool that does nothing when
called with no arguments, I just put some test i18n calls into it before end
of main :) It is itself generated, so the file is in
<kdelibs_build_dir>/kdecore/kde-config.cpp. For this to compile, not even
complete kdelibs build is needed, only kdelibs/kdecore and kdelibs/kjs.

Full kdelibs and kdebase would be nice, since then one can play with a few
real applications, like kwrite (as given by the examples), dolphin, etc.

The only problem is that (I think) build system to install PO files from
l10n-kde4/... is still defunct, so this should be done manually (the precise
install locations are given in the wiki article, in one of the tips).

No JavaScript bindings (as in kdebindings or whatever) are needed.

No option needs to be set to enable scripting. An option can be set do
*disable* scripting, but that's the fire-escape switch, so let's not mention
it now :)

(The KDE4 build procedure, from scratch to kdebase, is described at:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4

though I myself use some older instructions that I cannot find right now.)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team