List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translations for non-KDE applications
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2007-04-11 8:46:55

On mercoledì 11 aprile 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> At Sunday 08 April 2007 14:23, you wrote:
> > Hello KDE folks,
> >
> > I'm the maintainer of a command line music player called Herrie. Herrie
> > is currently available in four languages: Dutch, English, German and
> > Turkish. I think it would be nice if there were more translations for
> > the application.
> >
> > Is it possible that this non-KDE application could be translated by the
> > KDE I18N team as well? If so, more information about Herrie can be
> > acquired at the following locations:
> >
> > 	Herrie's website:
> > 	http://g-rave.nl/projects/herrie
> > 	Herrie's `lang' directory, containing translations and templates:
> > 	http://g-rave.nl/gitweb?p=herrie;a=tree;f=herrie/lang
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Hi,
>
> You could consider using KDE's subversion server for development. In that
> case the translations are available for all translators in the normal
> way.
>
> Toma

That's one way to do that. But there are applications that are not developed
in KDE SVN, but that are translated with the help of KDE translators. They
are translated in trunk/other. Among others, there are knights and kwebget.

I'm not sure what the admission rules are, though. The independently
developed applications all are kde-ish enough...

Personally, I would welcome external applications, since one problem for our
team is currently to find a way to keep new volunteers busy. Currently, we
have  to tell them there is no work for them, unless they want to tackle
documentation (wich is harder than interface translation and boring). If
external applications were admitted, we could keep new volunteers busy, and
the external project could gain a translation. Plus, the translations would
be consistent with those used in KDE.

Luciano
--
                                                            \\ //