List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE4 translation
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2007-04-10 19:57:00

On marted́ 10 aprile 2007, Sahachart Anukulkitch wrote:

> > You should not aim to finish the translation, if you are far from that
> > goal. Instead, try to determine the most useful files (and discard those
> > which are unlikely to make it to KDE4) and translate those. Most likely,
> > they will be useful for KDE4 too.
> >
> > Oh. I see your trunk translations are much more complete than those in
> > the 3.5 branch. So maybe you should merge trunk translations to the 3.5
> > branch, if possible. You should be able to salvage most of your work with
> > the help of msgmerge.
>
> I'm afraid that there're many differences between stable and trunk
> branches. So, do you reckon it is safe to do so? I just don't want to mess
> up both branches.

The issue is that trunk .po files are not updated with messages from trunk KDE
development (and they are not updated from the 3.5 branch either).

So if you want to do useful work, you should translate the files from
branches/stable of from trunk/l10n-kde4. The messages in trunk/l10n are from
a random point in time between 3.5 and current development sources. So if you
have done work on the translation in trunk, you should move it to
trunk/l10n-kde4 and consider backporting it to branchs/stable.

Many teams have deleted from trunks the directories of kde4 packages to avoid
confusion. Of course, there *are* things that are still translated in trunk,
such as many extragear packages.

> > > However, how can I commit to l10n-kde4? Just create a directory and
> > > move things from trunk/l10n to trunk/l10n-kde4?
> >
> > You could do that. But I think it's premature to start working on that.
>
> Umm, I and my team agree to push Thai to be released with KDE4 (while
> discard the stable branch :P ). Furthermore, according to a finalised KDE4
> release schedule, KDE4 will be release this year and there's not much time.

This is up to you to decide. However, if everything goes well, KDE 4.0 will be
out in october-november. This means many distributions will not include it
until april-may 2008, with some taking still more time to switch. So there
will be many users using KDE 3.5 one-two years from now.

So for myself, if I could offer, with a relatively little effort, an improved
translation for KDE 3.5, I would give it a try. And I think you should be
able to do that with the help of msgmerge:

msgmerge trunk.po stable.po -o new-3.5.po

This will try to take trunk translation over to the new .po catalog, and leave
the rest untouched. You could try it over a few files, to see if you are
confident in it, and if you are content of the results, you may try applying
over all the files you have.

Ciao,
Luciano

--