List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Giving up
From:       Stephan Johach <lucardus () onlinehome ! de>
Date:       2007-04-06 8:31:06

Hi Eric!

Am Donnerstag 05 April 2007, 19:40:57 schrieb Erik Kjær Pedersen:
> I have done little translation recently and I am about to give up
> completely. The reason is that the cataloguemanager constantly crashes, it
> simply evaporates without any warning, and without that it really is too
> cumbersome to do the translations.
> kbabel has not had a maintainer for a very long time, and it is really
> beginning to show. It is basically not useable any more.

I use KBabel and it is not that bad here. Sad that you are not able to
work with it. I fixed some bugs but gave up on the catalagmanager
code.

First try delete and deactivate the translation database. A corrupt
database file is also a long known reason for mysterious crashes.

There are also serious issues regarding the tree updating when
KDirWatch signals file changes. If your system is using stat-Mode
for KDirWatch it will crash very often (if you see the catalogmanager
tree flickering this is most probably your problem).

That is for example the case if you edit your po files with KBabel while
catalogmanager is running. Perhaps you should find out if KDirWatch uses
FAM/dnotify/inotify or stat. The latter seems to be the worst case.

> It has been fun.

It's sad you leave us. Perhaps with my hints above you give
it a last try.

You should also send this mail to kde-core as KBabel is not only
a user application but it is an essential tool for the KDE project.
If we start to loose translators due to this it should be known by the
people who often forgot about the people working on other
parts of KDE.

Stephan