List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Question about trunk/l10n-kde4/README and KBabel/Gettext use
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2007-03-30 21:28:23

I have a question about the text of the file trunk/ l10n-kde4/README.
(Sorry if it has been discussed before and I would have missed any
discussion.)

In the text, it is written that Gettext 0.15 is needed for using KBabel.

While of course this is true to get the full potential, there is something in
the text that "disturbs" me. It reads "To avoid several annoying error
messages" one should use Gettext 0.15.

This tells me that forcing translators to use Gettext 0.15 does not seem to
have been discussed and decided but only done so because KBabel would be
supposed not to do better.

However in this case, i am wondering why I had introduced the possibility to
disable checking to exactly avoid those "annoying error messages".

So in short my question is: Was this a decision? Was this phrasing due to
unknown features? Or does KBabel not work despite unchecking the right
options?

I am just asking because software updates were always critical in the past (an
extreme example being the CVS to SVN transition), so I suppose that some
translators would very much prefer *not* to update their Gettext.

Have a nice day!