List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Introducing open-tran.eu
From:       Gudmund Areskoug <gudmundpublic () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-17 11:43:43

Jacek ƚliwerski wrote:
> Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
>>
>> Wouldn't things be easier if there were a standardized interface or
>> protocol (open source, of course)?
>
> I am not sure whether a standard protocol would be enough.  You can
> already query open-tran.eu using 2 standard open protocols: XML-RPC and
> OpenSearch.

Great! Let's spread the word about that.

I'll try to do my part, including starting to search for spec's to
XML-RPC and OpenSearch, to see what can be done with them (unless you've
got good links already :) ).

> But without any client implementation that takes advantage
> of these protocols, their server-side implementation is useless.

True.

>> Then it wouldn't be tied to one specific app either.
>
> This is why it is tied to those applications that implement the client
> side of the protocols.  But this problem is not translation-specific.
>
> KBabel, as one of the most popular po-editing tool, is a de-facto
> standard and it is in my best interest to make KBabel support open-tran.
>  So keep the fingers crossed for me!

I'll do more than that, as well as I can :).

BTW: I strongly second the wishes for presentation of context info,
preferably in a way that can be polled and used to improve match
preferences via XML-RPC and OpenSearch in CAT assembly/pretranslation.

BR,
Gudmund