List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re[2]: Regarding: moving towards KDE4 translations
From:       "Renato Pavicic - Translator-shop.org" <renato () translator-shop ! org>
Date:       2007-02-18 17:35:43

Hello Chusslove,

>> [: Renato Pavicic :]
>> 2. are you sure all lines from 3.5 are converted to 4 in OK manner?

> They are actually not OK yet, current contents of kde4-l10n is still a
> test. I think we should wait for Stephan do declare it ready and give
> further instructions.

>> [...] because in kdeedu/kgeography.pot there are very few lines. That
>> is reflected in PO, where only lines from POT seem to be available for
>> localization, but the bunch of lines are made (what's the word?)
>> "obsolete"?

> ...but this may be unrelated to the conversion process. The last time I
> heard, maintainer of KGeography was itching to drop that huge pile of
> preassembled messages ("What is the capital of...", etc.) for KDE 4,
> counting on a scripting engine that I've been promising.

Oh my, I hope that he will not do that! Not only that all of the work
will be wasted, but I'll have huge problems with declinations (as you
may know that very well).

>> 3. plural forms for 4 are the same as in 3.5? (just my repetitive
>> question)

> Depends in which way you mean the same? In concept they are, but they will
> be presented in a new, standard Gettext format as separate strings, and
> will no longer contain %n placeholder.

I mean, the definition of plural form in PO file header. The plural
definition string, what's the proper name for it? You know:
Plural-Forms: nplurals=3; plural=n%10==1 && n%100!=11 ? 0 :  n%10>=2
&& n%10<=4 && (n%100<10 || n%100>=20) ? 1 : 2;;\n

Will that string be changed somehow?

> And as far as I'm concerned, I'll see to it that in Serbian translation we
> have 4 instead of 3 plural forms, if noone from my team objects (the extra
> form being for the case of exactly 1). This may also be a consideration
> for other Slavic languages.

That is most interesting suggestion! Could you be so kind to send me a
sample of plural-form definition?

Thanks for all replies.

--
Best regards,