List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Translation Research Group [Was] Re: KBabel Maintainer
From:       "rortega" <rortega () vertice ! cu>
Date:       2007-02-08 20:17:09

We better start calling it by its name.

> I spoke with Kees
> Koster this afternoon (he's the natural language / semantics / retrieval guy
> around here, author also of http://www.cs.ru.nl/~kees/home/papers/lrec.pdf

This paper by itself, should have had some good repercussions, and alone with
the creation of the group, could contribute to more lingustic resources be
bring under an open license. It would be good to have Kees opinion, here.

Any way, this will only limit the scope of the research, not the research group
existence. The matter is whether it can bring a practical outcome,
to the KDE or other projects, in the near future, as a form of an usable
translation tools set. But, it will serve to have fundings directed,
to practical activities as - pointed out by Groot - the KDE translations
considered as part of the project case sets, and any other ideas, that could,
and should be explored and considered on the proposal. In my point of view,
open source and science are the same thing.

> > It would be nice if the research group (does it have a mailing-list yet?)
> > As I said, I would be very interested in further involvement with the
> > group.
>
> Then maybe there will be such a group.

We better wait for other people to join, and let the discussions open. And have
the right people knock on the right doors. To make it a reality. There must be
others here just, reading, but also interested, waiting for it to happen.

Rodolfo
__
If not fire, be the spark!