List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re[2]: Compatibility of a name in all languages
From:       "Renato Pavicic - Translator-shop.org" <renato () translator-shop ! org>
Date:       2007-02-03 11:13:24

Hello Adriaan,

Saturday, February 3, 2007, 11:12:01 AM, you wrote:

> On Saturday 03 February 2007 00:55, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
>> Lets continue with this, how should I pronounce "kh" ? :)

> Like the "ch" in Scottish "loch".
> Like the "ch" in German "bach".
> Like the ? in Greek.
> Like the ? in Russian.
> An aspirated ?.
> Arabic ?.

Like "h" in Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian, Bosnian
Like "x" in Serbian (Cyrillic), Macedonian
Like "ch" in Czech

"KH" is an English way to accentuate pronunciation of a letter "h" that
is usually soundless in English language. Example:
Kharkov (city) - Xarkob
Khartoum

> * "Vivid"
OK in Croatian
> * "?????", Georgian for "people"
(I guess you used gruzijan scipt, I see only question marks?)

> transcripted to "Khalkhi" (official) or "Xalxi" (ISO)
- OK. Anyway, people in Croatia are often confused with "KH" like our
colleague here, as we have regular "h" (same voice like one for
cyrillic "X") so they will kinda tend to pronounce this like "Kalki".
But that's my job - to delete all "k" from "kh" ;)

--
Best regards,
 Renato

mailto:renato@translator-shop.org