List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kbabel degenerating
From:       Kevin Donnelly <kevin () dotmon ! com>
Date:       2006-11-06 8:32:12

On Friday 03 November 2006 17:24, mvillarino wrote:
> Maybe the situation could change if KDE as project showed interest to have
> a official web & desktop translation tool, ready to serve as an option to
> each team. For me, if it were possible to add a web iface to kbabel, the
> present functionalities could be enough.
> I know, it cost money to buy machines for it and to do an adaptation of the
> already available tools, but it can be paid.
> Two questions come to my (small) mind:
> - Is interesting to the K desktop environment to have a translation tool?
> - How much are you willing to donate to it's development and maintenance?
> (my budget is limited, some 60 eur).

I'd be happy to contribute too.  But I think it depends on how many people in
KDE "show interest".  Although it could be independent, the system ideally
needs to mesh in with existing server arrangements, for instance, otherwise
you could end up with just another Rosetta.  It does seem to me that with the
current advances in AJAX you could end up with a fairly desktop-like
interface, but one available webwide.  It's certainly worth thinking more
about.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly